Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best Mortgage Advisors

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nighteyes
Dirty Bint

PostPosted: 21:48 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Best Mortgage Advisors Reply with quote

The title covers it all really.......After much badgering from Ann & Jon I've decided to go see a mortgage advisor to see what my options are. However as I'm a big moving out virgin I've no idea who to see??

So, any recommendations.......Company? Independant? Or are they all pretty much the same???

Please plant your life knowledge on me Razz

Thx!

Helen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:01 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricky one, as a possible first time buyer all mortgage lenders will be pleased to see you Laughing

I started out on my own many moons ago with Abbey National and along the way had my ups and down and throughout they were pretty good to be honest, not saying the cheapest but when things hit shit bottom they didnt bin me out!

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go and see the mortgage advisor at your local bank, they will obviously try to sell you their mortgages. If you want the best mortgage for you, then see an independent (these may charge you for their time). However, some independents get introduction fees from mortgage companies, and therefore how 'independent' they can be remains questionable. Do your homework before you go. Do you want an endowment mortgage (no !) or a repayment. Have you got a deposit ? or do you need to borrow the whole amount. ? How much can you afford to pay a month. These are all questions you need to gen up on before you go. HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nrml76
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:29 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to an independant adviser. They will search the entire market for suitable plans, unlike banks and building societies. Most will not charge, as they are paid by the mortgage company if the deal goes through.

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an indepenant financial advisor who happened to be based at the estate agent I bought my house from. She was good, her name was Avril Leatham and she works for Austerberry Estate Agents (based in Longton now I think). I can't remember if I paid a fee or if she was commission based (or both) to be honest.

Also I was actually buying rather than seeing what my options were, so I'm not sure if you could go to the likes of Avril without having a property you're trying to get a mortgage on (could be wrong but unless there's a fee involved, what's in it for her?)

Something to consider taking with you when you find someone, is a budget plan. My mortgage advisor wanted to know that I knew what I was taking on and that I had thought about everything before she found me a mortgage.

Also it's important to have an idea of what you want...ie. I wanted to know exactly what I would be paying each month for the next 3 years (I like certainty) whereas you might want to take a risk and go for something linked to the Bank of England's rates (probably cheaper some months but not as certain).

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Best Mortgage Advisors Reply with quote

Nighteyes wrote:
The title covers it all really.......After much badgering from Ann & Jon I've decided to go see a mortgage advisor to see what my options are. However as I'm a big moving out virgin I've no idea who to see??

So, any recommendations.......Company? Independant? Or are they all pretty much the same???

A company advisor will only sell you that companies products.

An independant advisor will either charge you for his time, or will get commission from the product he recomends (and will therefore only sell you a product that gives comission - not all do).

If you want a fairly basic mortgage without any wierd requirements (like one based in foreign currency) then I would seriously recommend sorting it out yourself, using online searches to compare the different products - but by all means speak to a company (try your bank) advisor to get to know what the difference is between endowment, repayment, tracker, fixed, discount, combined, etc. products are and how "tie-ins" and "overhangs" work, if you truly are without a clue.

I just switched to a 2 year discount tracker from Britannia with no tie-in, but then I knew I wanted a 2 year product with no tie-in and I preferred a tracker - as on regular prodcts the banks don't always cut their rate when the base rate falls.

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 10:01 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea is to go and have a chat to a housing advisor at one of the Housing Authorities.

Give Beth Johnson a call and see if they have any new developments. They often build new houses and offer them as part buy for first time buyers (particularly single residents).

Beth Johnson:
01782 219200

or Aspire Housing:
01782 635200
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

FA's generally work as IFA's (independent) or tied FA's (tied to a particular company) and I would say that for one reason or another they are never really unbiased. If you want to go and see one then an IFA will have a greater range of products on offer as they aren't legally bound to one company's products. They will however get finders fees and more commission from a particular company so will generally have a vested interest.

As has been said, it's worth doing some research for yourself. There are plenty of sources of info and mortgage comparisons around on the web. Look for arrangement fees, tie ins, etc. Decide whether you want a fixed rate and for how long or if you want to go discounted. Fixed rate mortgages tend to have a higher interest rate and a booking fee, discounted, tracker, etc vary with the base rate. It's all fairly convoluted but it's worth doing some finding out then going to see who you think has the best deal and sounding them out.

MSN Money Central

Money Supermarket

Plenty more about.

Good luck

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch out for first national! my solicator once called them the most incompatent people he ever dealt with. they loose everything including the deeds to my house and they where near 150 years old and i really wanted to see them to. they dont record when you call and you get in trouble cause no one knows what everyones doing. also my mortgage rate was stupidly high compaired to my neighbours at the time.

nrml76
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:56 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try https://mortgages.charcolonline.co.uk/ It is possibly the best established online mortgage website.

Nighteyes
Dirty Bint

PostPosted: 21:15 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks peeps! Thumbs Up

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo grown up stuff. *Runs off and hides*

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 11:42 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally, I'd suggest an Independant advisor (IFA) over one of the estate agent's own people..

however.

When I bought my current place, the estate agent girl (Connels estate agents) was VERY good, and got me a Much better and safer mortgage than the IFA I'd been speaking to, who said that for a 4.5 salary multiplier, I was better off on a self-cert mortgage. the Connels girl got me a decent, low fixed rate mortgage with the RBoS, and had the RBoS rep on the phone with us at 6:30 in the evening, checking the finer points of what I'd need to qualify, to make sure there were as few possible problems as possible.

so, it all comes down to luck really.. I've had good IFAs and a poor IFAs (all were on recommmendations too).

It IS better if you can find one with an office, where you can sit down an talke to them face to face. I even prefer this to having them visit you at home.

a
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1