Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can't stop thinking about death

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

bindy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:44 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Can't stop thinking about death Reply with quote

I can't stop thinking about what would happen if I crashed my bike. I keep picturing my family at my funeral etc. Its really awful and I know I shouldn't be thinking about it but its like I feel guilty for having a bike because nobody else in my family really rides or approves of it not even my boyfriend. They dont stop me but I know they worry and it makes me worry. I feel like I am mean for riding but I love it at the same time. How do I stop fixating on disaster? Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:18 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Can't stop thinking about death Reply with quote

bindy wrote:
I feel like I am mean for riding but I love it at the same time. How do I stop fixating on disaster? Neutral

Just because you're on a bike doesn't mean it has to be more dangerous.

By far the most dangerous accident I've been in was in a car sitting at a steady 50mph in a line of traffic behind a truck.

On bike's I've fallen off doing wheelies, faster than that; crashed over 50 times on bikes now I reckon and nothing as serious as that.

Sadly death is a fact of life. You could get give up biking then trip over a crack in the pavement and kill yourself.
Not nice, but there's nothing you can do about it.

If you are worried that riding a bike means you're more likely to have a serious accident, why not look at some advanced training? This can teach you how to avoid other road users that may cause you to have an accident as well as yourself crashing on your own.

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:53 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

this could be a form of obsessive compulsive disorder, no that dont mean your insane everyone has a form of this to a certain degree.

do these thoughts and images come when your very low? sometimes they can hit you even when you are daydreaming. i know its pretty aweful and i have been there myself.

i used to imagine horrible things happening to me on bike and even things happening to people i loved and there was no way i could get them out of my mind.

positive thinking helps. mine only comes when i am stressed and have learned to battle with that.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same as dragonfly.

You learn to live with them, just accept them as part of who you are and they'll get better, the more upset you get the worse they will be.

Look into advanced training as well, bikes are about as dangerous as everything else in the road, I would even argue that due to the people being attracted in biking because it's dangerous means that more people are going to be killed biking.

Ride carefully and safe, and as G said look into advanced training.

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:08 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only found out when i was watching tv one day this. and i relised i wasnt going mad. dont let it knock your confidence about bikes though as with everyone be careful.
this happens when the seratonin in your brain goes low . look into your diet and lifestyle and posibly change it and you will see the differance. Smile

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 05:58 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can reduce your risks by riding as if you are on your bike test all the time

you can give up riding for a bit until you arent so worried about it

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:05 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brothers mate was killed in a bike crash, and it made all of us consider our biking future.

Then I thought, my uncle died after tripping on the way out of the vets. Does that mean we should never enter a vets again?

My granddad died cooking breakfast, do you get my drift?

I just live my life as best I can, I have more chance dying in other ways then I do riding my bike. My bike is part of my personality, a big part. My fiancee hates it, but accepts that it is part of me, I wouldn't be the same person without one.

If anyone ever puts you into a corner about stopping biking, then they are being quite selfish, and you should stand up for yourself. Concern is normal, forcing is out of order.

Ride on, and be happy. Wink

IronMaiden
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:56 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone who rides a bike has thought about the same thing as you. What if.....?

But you can't live by "what if's" because it will paralyse you.

No-one can live forever right? (Except Chuck Norris Laughing )

It sounds corny but, live your life to the fullest and you will never have any regrets Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

IronMaiden
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:01 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone who rides a bike has thought about the same thing as you. What if.....?

It sounds corny but, live your life to the fullest and you will never have any regrets Cool

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMaiden wrote:

Excellent Post Thumbs Up

I always say "Fear is Temporary, Regret is Permanant".

If you keep avoiding doing things because of the "what-ifs" then you will regret it later on in life.
Lifes too short to worry about things that you cant change / predict

Sparky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:32 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get a similar thing but about friends dyeing in accidents, recently had two dreams over the last few weeks about a certain mate and i woke up shitting it, it wasnt nice!
im just gonna carry on as normal it wont knock me but gonna be weird when we first go out on the bikes again with him in next few weeks coz its such a strong image in my head.

ah well lifes a beach! next time your out open her up and you'll soon forget your troubles! vroooooom............

that vroooom was supposed to be a sound effect of a bike whizzing passed you at high speed by the way!

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 17:38 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised no-one mentioned that as a last resort riding may just not be for you.

jonnay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of posting something like this too, glad it's come up.

Basically after my last accident, all I now think of is crashing. If a random word came into my head, it would be "crash". I keep having the same nightmare where I crash into the side of a 4x4 (Not actually my accident, just some random scenario I keep dreaming of), and bascially it's got me a nervous wreck. I'm not really using the bike that much either because as soon as I look at it, I start to breathe quickly and panic a little. The other day I had to stop and take my helmet etc. off and just sit looking away from the bike for a bit.

I've kind of convinced myself that the bike will be the end of me.

Don't know what I can do to stop thinking about "what-if's", I can't enjoy doing anything really now because I'm always on-edge, my college work is suffering because I keep going into day-dreams and drifting off (that same scenario I've dreamt of), and I'm always tired because I keep waking up from sleep sweating and stressing over the nightmare.

Funny thing is, until about a week after the accident I was fine, got back on the bike, all OK, then things started happening, subtle at first, but now bad.

I feel like I'm about to open my mouth and say "I'm going to crash" all the time, even when I haven't touched the bike for 2 days Confused

I just hope that it will eventually fade away like how it started.

Jon

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't stop thinking about Death.

He thinks about you too...

https://www.talking-statues.com/CA1523_G_GRIM_REAPER.jpg

Laughing Wink

Just try to enjoy the bike and the freedom it gives you. Smile The less you worry, the safer you'll be.

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
Quote:
I can't stop thinking about Death.

He thinks about you too...

https://www.talking-statues.com/CA1523_G_GRIM_REAPER.jpg

Laughing Wink

Just try to enjoy the bike and the freedom it gives you. Smile The less you worry, the safer you'll be.

I wondered how long it would be before a picture of death appeared. Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:24 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concept that's difficult for almost everyone to grasp (until its happening or until someone very close to us dies) is that ... we all die eventually.

I never really had any concept of the proximity of death until my absolutely best male friend died three years ago in a bike accident. I was utterly devastated. And it was worse finding out that he had lain in intensive care for a week before he died, and I had no idea.

Its not nice to know that someone has died horrifically in a bike smash, it always rips your guts out and gives you a chill up your spine, and no doubt my family would be devastated as anyone's if I snuffed it on the road.

But whether you die on the bike, whether you catch bird flu, get run over by a bus, or whether you end up just keeling over with a heart attack, or of old age at 125 years old - its gonna happen to all of us, and its gonna happen to some of us earlier than it is to others.

But to be honest, I worry more about whether its gonna hurt just before I die, and about who would come to my funeral, than actually dying.

At least if you die young, there'll still be people who know and care about you to attend the funeral and to maybe put flowers on your grave for a bit longer than if you were 125 years old.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:27 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

At least if you die young, there'll still be people who know and care about you to attend the funeral and to maybe put flowers on your grave for a bit longer than if you were 125 years old.

Very persuasive but i think id prefer to have a long life even if its just to play more computer games.

these says old people play cards because thats what they did when they were young, but when im old, old ppl will be playing computer games in their old folks homes

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 20:36 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one think it's stupid how when people mention motorcycles, the key words that come to mind are 'deathtrap' and 'accident'. You can die doing anything, think about it, there's not a thing in the world that can't be used to kill you, fair enough there's a higher chance of dying on a bike than a spoon related incident, but this isn't to mean when you get on the bike people are trying to get you, aiming for you and if you fall off you die. I hate how people say cars are safer than bikes, they are only safer in the right circumstances.

For example if you were rolling towards the edge of a cliff at 50mph, and your brakes failed, would you rather be belted up in the cage or on the bike where you can safely jump off. See how I made it look like bikes are safer than cars? I think that I read somewhere that biking is one of the safest past times ever.

At the end of the day you take the risk, not riding the bike, but at life. Putting it off or saying you won't do it just because you could die is a waste and you will regret it.

jonnay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantomtek wrote:
For example if you were rolling towards the edge of a cliff at 50mph, and your brakes failed, would you rather be belted up in the cage or on the bike where you can safely jump off.

Yeh, and slide off the cliff on your backside instead Razz Wink

Good points though, guess it's just an association thing really. Like when you burn yourself on hot water when you're little, taps = pain. I think that's what you were getting at anywho.

Jon
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1