Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

tax on wagers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Dear Auntie BCF... by G (16 Mar 2006 - 11:37)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
If you earn over £4895 you will then start to pay Basic Rate (currently 22%) on all the rest of your wages. Here is the BUT. If your employer's payroll software doesn't allow for the student allowance (not all of them do), or their payroll department doesn't know how to operate it, or they just don't want to use it, you are taxed normally and this is perfectly OK.

er are you sure ? , the government introduced a 10% lower rate on the first £2090 you earn over £4895 , anything above up to I think 31400 (might be last years figures) is taxed at 22% and anything above that 40% ,

Though I've not been in a payroll dept for a few months though if I AM mistaken this is a GOOD thing since my rebate will be all the fatter in a couple weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certain. If you are on a student declaration you don't go onto cumulative when you hit the limit you go onto BR. The whole idea of the student thing is that you are declaring in advance that you won't earn over the limit, that's why it's only supposed to apply to students working during the holidays and not students working part-time all year.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:02 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkwheel,

You seem to mention the phrase 'pay zero tax' a lot.

You still pay tax, its just most students get paid less than the personal allowance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a bit off topic but is overtime pay taxed?

jok
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:32 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoND wrote:
Might be a bit off topic but is overtime pay taxed?

If you earn more than the tax-free quota, then yes it gets taxed like normal earnings.

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:26 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, when you work overtime for a legit company you pay tax on it.

I used to work and get paid weekly, at that point tax and pension/union/national insurance didnt seem so bad. Now I get paid monthly and looking at the 1/3 of what I earn going to blair and his cronies is thoroughly depressing. I pay more now into NI than my own personal pension, and I know I will never see the NI money again Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2