Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

never ending work revisited

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:12 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: never ending work revisited Reply with quote

Nothing to see here Mr. Green

Last edited by Itchy on 22:43 - 08 Feb 2008; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:29 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you just dissapeared for a week without telling them where you were and what you was up to?

Sounds like you was out of order mate, hope you don't have the rights to scrounge from your employer. What did you expect?

Rick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:31 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I think it was about his boss phoning him all hours of the day and night even when he was off.

Did you sign a contract mate?

EDIT: How long have you been working there?

Have you been shown a document explaining the company discipline policy and staff code of conduct.

Have you had any formal verbal or written warnings?

Did anyone witness him telling you to 'not turn up on Monday'? (d'oh, it was a text message. DO NOT DELETE IT!)

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:46 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick

Never ending work precis

I was being asked to do wayy over the number of agreed hours and being called dead in the middle of the night to go recieve deliveries.
The week before I clocked up 57 hours and only got paid for 35 of those hours thus putting me way below the national minimum wage.

Consulting the BCF I was given the impression I should stand up and say no , which I did (though I still did manage to clock in 42 hours and only get paid for 35 unavoidable since I could not leave before this)

In return for standing up and saying no (think being paid about £2.6 after tax) , I get the sack in the form of a text message.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:50 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
only been working there for 3 months

I should elaborate. If you have been working there for LESS than 3 months, they can sack you as 'unsuitable'.

If you have been working there for MORE than 3 months, you have an implied contract (even if you haven't signed one) and you have rights.

In this context, an out of the blue text message telling you you are sacked for anything other than 'gross misconduct' is unfair dismissal and you should see him in court.

There is a way to sack someone, and that was not it. I know this because my Dad looked into it very carefully when he had to terminate the employment of someone who suddenly decided he couldn't be bothered to turn up for work on Mondays. He also found out through 'the grapevine' that the same guy had received cash payouts for unfair dismissal from his last two employers.

In that case, they went to a tribunal (knew it was going to happen) and the sherriff praised the watertight and legally correct disciplinary procedures (which included several witnessed and minuted verbal and written warnings) that were in place.

You have to tread very carefully and do everything by the book if you want to sack someone, the law is all in favour of the employee.

In your case, this is a good thing.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:52 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
No, I think it was about his boss phoning him all hours of the day and night even when he was off.

Did you sign a contract mate?

>I signed a P46 the day I started and I presume this hand written document with his sig on the bottom which says 35 hours purchase ledger clerk [company name ltd]. Which I signed would constitute a contract.

EDIT: How long have you been working there?

Since Mid January

Have you been shown a document explaining the company discipline policy and staff code of conduct.

No he said if you make a mistake f*** something up tell us about it and we'll fix it up ,

Have you had any formal verbal or written warnings?

No , except while starting I asked him to show me how to do a few things , I made a few mistakes and he immediately showed me how to do it.

Did anyone witness him telling you to 'not turn up on Monday'? (d'oh, it was a text message. DO NOT DELETE IT!)

Well I showed it to my ex collegue who was less than impressed , though the text still resides inside my phone , though this phone is dodgy since I dropped it off my bike recently , so maybe

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:56 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah feg it I just want to move on really just that money is a bit tight
due to this event I was more venting really and wanting to know in your opinions about this question

Was I right to stand up to the boss ? ,

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:12 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you were right to refuse, he was taking the piss.

No, you shouldn't drop the subject. If you were there for over three months you can do him up the arse for several thousand pounds in an unfair dismissal tribunal. You would not be expected to go back and work there afterwards.

Another very important point. Notice period (which you are entitled to be paid for). Turn up to work during your notice period (either two weeks or a month depending on your circumstances) unless you are officialy told not to or YOU can be held in breach of contract.

I would not take a text message as official notice. At a very minimum a verbal instruction in front of a witness. DO NOT engage in any discussion on this subject with your boss unless it is in writing or you have a witness.

My advice is to get your arse down to the citizens advice beaureau first thing tomorrow (or on Monday if they are shut on Saturday) and explain what has happened. They will be able to advise you better.

The guy sounds like a total arsehole and needs to learn that he cannot treat employees like that, you are in a perfect position to teach him this lesson (where it hurts, in his pocket) and you might even get a new bike out of it.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:28 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice , but I think its all come to naught

just looking at calendar inc some 'trial' days in Dec and a couple of training weeks in Jan , its shy about 1.5 weeks for 3 months so I don't think I have a case.

Though I suspect his company might go belly up soon though , it was seriously overtrading and losing clients like wildfire (we sold chicken lots of it Hn15 hit the co hard)

ginguar
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:40 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Was I right to stand up to the boss ? ,

Yes, yes, yes and yes. I have no doubt, from what you have said, that you have done the right thing. Well done Thumbs Up

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:52 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all hinges on whether you were given a contract of employment or not.

The 3 months probation only applies if it is in your contract (and it doesn't have to be 3 months although that seems to be a fairly standard period), it's not a statutory right. If you have a contract that states that you have a probation period it will also usually state that you can be summarily dismissed within the period for no reason and with no notice.

If you have a contract it should also either contain the company's disciplinary & grievance procedure or refer you to where you can get a copy from. Once again there are no statutory provisions but there are standard procedures that most people follow.

Re tribunal you are not eligible, you have to have worked for 2 years to be able to claim unfair dismissal.

BUT, providing you were not still in a probation period you do have stautory rights and you are eligible to be paid one weeks notice and accrued holiday pay at .384 days per week that you worked less any paid holidays you have taken. I make that 4.5 days holiday accrued.

If your employer refuses to pay you, THEN you can take him to tribunal as he has breached your stautory rights and there is no minimum worked period for that particular claim. You won't get thousands though, just the wages you are owed.

As I think I suggested before, talk to ACAS. https://www.acas.org.uk/ They will be able to advise you in detail, and if you do have a claim they will help you to prepare it. It shouldn't cost you anything either.

Finally (phew) when you talk to ACAS tell them about the unpaid overtime as they breached the minimum wage regulations and ACAS will get the DTI involved to get them for that too.

Incidentally (oh bugger the last one wasn't final at all) if the company is limited and it does go under you will have to walk away as you have no chance of getting anything.

Go for it. Thumbs Up

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:28 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
This all hinges on whether you were given a contract of employment or not.

The 3 months probation only applies if it is in your contract (and it doesn't have to be 3 months although that seems to be a fairly standard period), it's not a statutory right. If you have a contract that states that you have a probation period it will also usually state that you can be summarily dismissed within the period for no reason and with no notice.

There was a trial period in December which was stated as a trial period which I completed sucessfully I think I might still have a letter stating that I should come for a trial period before I started properly , since I got a letter a few days after the couple weeks trial period saying I was the man for the job and I should come in at XX date to start

babyyam wrote:

If you have a contract it should also either contain the company's disciplinary & grievance procedure or refer you to where you can get a copy from. Once again there are no statutory provisions but there are standard procedures that most people follow.

Re tribunal you are not eligible, you have to have worked for 2 years to be able to claim unfair dismissal.

Darn I thought it was just one year , as said we had more or less a beer mat contract

babyyam wrote:

BUT, providing you were not still in a probation period you do have stautory rights and you are eligible to be paid one weeks notice and accrued holiday pay at .384 days per week that you worked less any paid holidays you have taken. I make that 4.5 days holiday accrued.

If your employer refuses to pay you, THEN you can take him to tribunal as he has breached your stautory rights and there is no minimum worked period for that particular claim. You won't get thousands though, just the wages you are owed.

Better than nothing wages owed that is

babyyam wrote:

As I think I suggested before, talk to ACAS. https://www.acas.org.uk/ They will be able to advise you in detail, and if you do have a claim they will help you to prepare it. It shouldn't cost you anything either.

Finally (phew) when you talk to ACAS tell them about the unpaid overtime as they breached the minimum wage regulations and ACAS will get the DTI involved to get them for that too.

Incidentally (oh bugger the last one wasn't final at all) if the company is limited and it does go under you will have to walk away as you have no chance of getting anything.

Go for it. Thumbs Up

the company isn't limited I checked , again last night , however I'm sceptical or going via this route since it might blacken my reputation and make me unemployable oh don't hire him he'll sue you if stuff goes wrong...

Also I was friendly with all the drivers at that company who all have families to feed and would feel bad if they lost their jobs due to my actions.

Though this depends on me being able to find lots of bits of paper which and might boil down to a his word vs mine which is a no win situation.

I have a feeling if I did this he'd say I was still in a probationary period even though I felt I was not due to the fact that I got a pay increase sometime in January which signaled to me that the period of probation was over.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:07 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of a formal contract acts entirely in your favour.

I don't have one, this makes me pretty much unsackable providing I keep turning up to work at my normal times.

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

I was being asked to do wayy over the number of agreed hours and being called dead in the middle of the night to go recieve deliveries.
The week before I clocked up 57 hours and only got paid for 35 of those hours thus putting me way below the national minimum wage.

Consulting the BCF I was given the impression I should stand up and say no , which I did (though I still did manage to clock in 42 hours and only get paid for 35 unavoidable since I could not leave before this)

How is he getting away with only paying you for 35 hours when you're doing 57 in a week? Confused

That's really taking the piss.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 95 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1